Steamed brown rice purchased at the take-out counter of my grocery store cut both the prep and clean-up time of this rice salad. But I couldn’t cut corners on the dressing; nothing matches the sunny flavor of freshly prepared pesto.
Brown Rice & Shredded Brussels Sprouts With Pesto Dressing
| Serves 6 |
285 calories per serving
- 2 cups prepared brown rice
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, rinsed
- 1 large tomato
- 2 carrots, rinsed and peeled
- 1/4 small red onion
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 rounded tablespoon pine nuts
- Optional: 6 – 8 mixed olives (Niçoise, Kalamata, Sicilian), pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 sprig fresh basil (about 8 medium leaves) rinsed and patted dry
- 3 cloves garlic
Prepare salad ingredients: Shred the Brussels sprouts, using a grater, or slice very thin, discarding the tough ends. Transfer to a microwave-proof serving bowl and cook on high for one minute.
Remove and set aside. Chop the tomato into roughy 1/4 – 1/2 inch pieces. Slice the carrots and red onion thin.
Make the pesto dressing: Transfer all of the dressing ingredients to a blender or high power mixer (if using a regular blender, chop the garlic beforehand). Mix the ingredients on a high speed until well combined and fairly smooth. The dressing will be thick. If necessary, add a few drops of water and blend again.
Assemble the salad: Transfer the rice and all of the other salad ingredients to the serving bowl with the Brussels sprouts. Drizzle a couple of tablespoons of the dressing over the salad and toss well. Add additional dressing to taste, along with some fresh ground pepper. Serve, and enjoy!