Kale is such a sturdy soul…this salad can be made hours ahead and will retain its bright colors and vibrant flavors. For a hefty main course, serve with grilled chicken, shrimp, or steak, with scoops of creamy polenta on the side.
Kale & Pan Grilled Corn with Herbed Goat Cheese Dressing
| Serves 4
- 8 ounces kale, washed, spun dry, thick stems removed and torn into salad-size pieces
- 1 large ear fresh corn
- 8 cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1 small bunch fresh basil (about 7 leaves), plus additional for dressing
- 2 ounces fresh herbed goat cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 medium – large fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
Prepare the corn: Husk and wash the corn, spray well with canola or olive oil and place in a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and turn the corn every few minutes, until it browns on all sides, about 8 minutes.
Make the dressing: Cut the goat cheese into small pieces and mix with other dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth and well combined.
Assemble the salad: Place the kale and about half of the tomatoes in a salad bowl. Slice the corn kernels off the husk and add about half to the salad. Toss the salad with a light coating of the dressing. Garnish the salad with remaining tomatoes and corn kernels and serve.