It’s sweet and tangy, yet its complexity is what makes me mad about mango. It is the perfect compliment to pungent blue cheese.
Mango Salad with Blue Cheese and Classic Vinaigrette Dressing
25 min|Serves 4
- 10 ounces mixed salad greens such as romaine, green leaf, and Boston lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 medium or large mango
- 4 – 6 ounces blue cheese, such as stilton or gorgonzola, crumbled
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or combination
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Small pinch of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Prepare the salad ingredients: Place the mixed lettuces in a salad bowl. Cut the mango into bite size pieces. (Click here for a one minute video demonstration of how to peel and cut mango.) Sprinkle about one half of the crumbled blue cheese into the salad, reserving the rest for garnish. Add roughly a third of the cut mango.
Make the dressing: Combine the vinegar, lemon, mustard, sugar and seasonings in a small bowl and whisk together well. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, continuing to whisk until the ingredients are well emulsified. Use a piece of lettuce to taste-test your dressing. Adjust seasonings.
Assemble the salad: Toss the salad with a light coating of the dressing. Garnish with the remaining blue cheese and mango. Serve and enjoy.