| Serves 2 main courses |
425 calories per serving
- 5 ounce mix of baby kale, spinach and/or arugula
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 ounces marinated mushrooms*
- 6 – 8 ounces grilled or poached chicken, cut into salad size pieces
- Optional: 2 ounces salad croutons
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
*Many in-grocery olive bars and salad bars carry freshly marinated button mushrooms.
- 2 ounces cooked beets
- Small handful of baby kale, or several sprigs parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon mesquite smoke powder*
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
*Available at specialty spice stores such as The Spice House
Prepare the dressing: Transfer the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, mesquite smoke powder and salt to a blender and combine well. Add the beets and kale, and pulse until both are partially combined, but not liquified, into the dressing (see photo). Dressing will be thick. Add water, a teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
Assemble the salad: Transfer the salad ingredients to a serving bowl. Toss with enough dressing to create a light but thorough coating. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Serve, and enjoy!