Tangy tropical flavors are balanced against a bed of creamy avocado in this nani (beautiful) main course salad.
Nani Shrimp Salad
| Serves 2 |
310 calories per serving
- 10 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 large, ripe Haas avocado or 1 small Florida variety
- 2 cups large cherry tomatoes
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs such as parsley and basil, or a combination
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar*
- Hawaiian or Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
*I recommend white balsamic vinegar for this recipe not only because it has a lighter flavor than regular balsamic, but also because of its transparency, which allows the vibrant colors of the salad ingredients to shine.
Prepare the shrimp: Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a non stick pan on medium high heat until just beginning to brown. Add the shrimp and sprinkle lightly with salt & fresh ground pepper. Cook until lightly browned on both sides, about five minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Prepare remaining salad ingredients: Peel and cut the avocado into roughly 1/2 inch slices onto 2 salad plates. Mash the avocado onto the center of the plates, creating beds for the remaining salad ingredients (see photo). Cut the tomatoes into half or quarter pieces. Arrange about half of the tomatoes onto the avocado, followed by the mango, then arrange the remaining tomatoes on top (see photo). Sprinkle each salad with about half of the chopped herbs.
Dress the salad: Drizzle about a half a tablespoon of the olive oil on each salad, followed by a teaspoon of the vinegar. Garnish with the remaining chopped herbs. Crumble a pinch of Hawaiian or Kosher salt over each; finish with a few grinds of pepper.