Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes – Green Onion Vinaigrette
| Serves 4 |
365 calories per serving
- 4 large tomatoes, heirloom or other tasty variety
- 1 1/2 cups prepared quinoa*
- 6 ounces cooked beets
- 1 avocado
- 1 scallion (plus more for dressing)
- 1 1/2 ounces blue or gorgonzola cheese – any dry, crumbly variety
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
* I love Susie’s brand prepared quinoa – just open the packet and pour straight into your salad bowl. Instant gratification!
Green Onion Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 green scallion
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Make the vinaigrette: Roughly chop the scallion, including the white section near the root, and transfer to a blender. Add the other ingredients and mix the dressing until smooth.
Prepare the tomatoes: Remove the leaves and stems from the tomatoes. Then, using a small, sharp knife and spoon, hollow out the tomatoes, removing the entire core and seeds. Drain any remaining juice from the fruit by turning the tomatoes upside down on a cutting board. Then, sprinkle the insides of the fruit with a pinch of salt and set aside.
Prepare the quinoa stuffing: Transfer the quinoa to a salad bowl. Chop the beets and avocado into large bite size pieces. Dice the scallion into thin pieces. Add these ingredients to the quinoa and toss gently. Then, crumble the blue cheese over the salad.
Assemble the salad: Toss the quinoa stuffing with a light coating of the dressing and a bit of fresh ground pepper. Using a spoon, fill the hollowed tomatoes with the stuffing. Arrange on individual plates. Serve, and enjoy!