Russian Dressing transforms a simple plate of romaine lettuce into a sophisticated salad of rich, spicy and subtly sweet flavors. It’s scrumptious on just about any cold vegetable and excellent with seafood.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons pickled pimientos*, chopped (mince if you are not using a blender)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 teaspoon horseradish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon tabasco
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Several grinds of fresh pepper
- 4 – 5 tablespoons tap water
Traditional method: Combine all ingredients except the water in a small bowl and stir together until well blended. Add the water, a tablespoon or so at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. Taste test the dressing. Add additional salt and pepper according to taste.
Blender method: Place all of the ingredients plus three tablespoons of the water in a blender and mix until smooth. Add additional water, a tablespoon or so at a time, and blend again until desired consistency is achieved. Adjust seasonings according to taste.