Savory Spinach Caesar Salad
Courtesy of Frank Williams
When Boston Police Officer Frank Williams recited the ingredients of his favorite salad, I cringed. White onions, raisins and pepper jack cheese? But as I learned, it works. In fact, it’s fabulous.
| Serves 2
- 5 ounces ready-to-eat salad lettuce such as spinach and/or romaine
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 small white onion
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 hardboiled eggs
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, sliced into roughly 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (to view a quick, no-mess method of mincing garlic, click here)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
Prepare the salad ingredients: Place the salad greens in a serving bowl. Cut each of the tomatoes in half and slice the onion very thin. Quarter the hardboiled egg. Add about two thirds of the prepared salad ingredients to the bowl with the lettuce, reserving the rest for garnish.
Prepare the dressing: Measure the ingredients into a blender. Mix together until well combined and smooth.
Assemble the salad: Toss the salad with a light coating of the dressing. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Garnish the salad with remaining tomatoes, cheese, raisins, onion, egg, and grilled chicken. Drizzle with additional dressing, if desired. Serve and enjoy this hearty man-salad!
Roquette, Olives & Sardines With Balsamic Vinaigrette, courtesy of David Evans.
Mixed Greens & Herbs With Feta & Star Fruit Dressing, courtesy of Hassam Chatilah.