For fresh, succulent flavor, sear the carrots quickly in a dab of butter over high heat, and use a high quality basil olive oil in the dressing. I’ve used both the O Olive Oil & Vinegar brand and one made by Williams-Sonoma. They are both excellent.
Seared Carrots & Tomato Salad
| Serves 4 |
178 calories per serving
- 2 12 oz. packages ready-to-eat petite carrots (tiny as you can find)
- 3 cups grape tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pints)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 – 16 pitted olives, niçoise, Kalamata, Spanish green, or a combination
- Handful of red onion, sliced thin
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
Simple Basil Dressing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons basil flavored olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- A few sprinkles dry basil
In a large non-stick sauté pan, melt the butter over high heat. Add the carrots and sear, turning often until evenly browned, about 8 – 10 minutes. Transfer to a salad bowl; add the tomatoes and sliced onion.
Drizzle the balsamic vinegar, then the basil olive oil, directly onto the salad and toss well. Sprinkle the dry basil along with some salt and fresh ground pepper to taste over the salad and toss again. Garnish with the olives. Serve, and enjoy!