Basking in a savory vinaigrette, seared radicchio and pears exude luscious flavor and a provocative appearance. This salad is ideal for entertaining as it can be made in advance and refrigerated. Just remove from the fridge fifteen minutes or so before serving.
Seared Radicchio With Pears, Pistachios & Sherry Mustard Vinaigrette
| Serves 4 |
304 calories per serving
- 2 small – medium heads radicchio
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 bosc or Asian pears, or 3-4 smaller variety such as forelle
- 4 tablespoons roasted, salted pistachios, chopped
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 ounces (about 2/3 cup) sprigs of baby arugula, baby kale, or other hardy ready-to-eat salad greens
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Sear the radicchio: Slice the radicchio through the core into six wedges. Lightly spritz a medium non-stick sauté pan with cooking spray and place on medium high heat. Add the radicchio wedges, cut side down, to the pan and sear until brown along the edges of the leaves, about 3 to 5 minutes. Turn, and repeat on the other side. Remove from the heat.
Prepare the dressing and pears: In a small measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and mustard until well emulsified. Add the sugar, salt and pepper to taste, and whisk again. Taste test the dressing, and adjust the sugar and salt according to taste. Note: The addition of the pears will sweeten the dressing slightly. Core the pears, dice into roughly 1/2 inch pieces, and add to the dressing. Toss lightly so that the juices of the pears meld with the dressing ingredients.
Assemble the salad: Slice each wedge of radicchio into 3 or 4 pieces and transfer to a salad bowl. Add the pears and the dressing and toss the salad well. Add the greens and toss again lightly. Note: If you are making the salad in advance, add the salad greens just before serving. Garnish with the goat cheese and chopped pistachios. Serve, and enjoy!