The combination of star fruit and herbs creates a fresh, mildly tart dressing with a sumptuous consistency. Peeling is not necessary – just remove the seeds before dropping the fruit in the blender.
| Makes 1/2 cup | 65 calories per tablespoon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small star fruit, unripe or barely ripe,* brown edges and seeds removed; cut into half inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 – 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs such as oregano, basil or cilantro leaves, chopped
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
*Look for fruit that is just beginning to turn brown along the edges.
Measure the olive oil and vinegar into a blender. Add the chopped star fruit, garlic, and herbs. Blend the dressing until smooth. Taste test the dressing (for tips on taste-testing dressing, click here). Adjust seasonings to taste.
Star Fruit Salad Dressing is excellent tossed with any variety of salad greens. It also compliments fruit and slaw salads.