Spring’s arrival has been painfully slow, but it hasn’t evaded California and Florida, where the strawberry season is in full swing. So…ignore the snow banks flanking your driveway, open a bottle of Prosecco, toss a salad packed with sunny fresh flavor, and say good riddance to a crazy winter!
Strawberries & Sunflower Greens With Lemon Mint Dressing
| Serves 4
- 8 medium strawberries
- 2 cups ready-to-eat sunflower greens, pea shoots, or fresh salad sprouts
- 5 ounces ready-to-eat baby arugula
- 4 – 6 pink, white or purple radishes or a combination, washed and ends removed
- 6 – 8 medium fresh mint leaves
- Additional strawberries, quartered; sunflower greens; and sliced radish, for garnish, if desired
- Optional: 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mint jelly
- 2 – 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Prepare the salad ingredients: Wash the strawberries, pat dry and slice in half or quarter pieces. Slice the radishes thin. Tear the mint leaves into roughly 1/2 inch pieces.
Make the dressing: Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth and emulsified. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Assemble the salad: Place the arugula, strawberries, sunflower greens, sliced radishes and fresh mint in a bowl. Toss the salad with a light coating of the dressing. Adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish the salad with additional strawberries, sunflower greens, radish slices and goat cheese, if desired. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve and enjoy!