Svelt Green Salad – Portly Orange Vinaigrette
| Serves 4 side salads | 270 calories per serving
Portly Orange Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons orange infused olive oil*
- 2 tablespoons port balsamic vinegar
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into salad-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
*I love O Olive Oil’s Blood Orange Olive Oil, available online and at many grocery stores. Or, you can make your own by combining the outer peel of one orange with a third to half cup extra virgin olive oil. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or so before using..
- 5 ounces mesclun mix
- 1 avocado, sliced into salad size pieces
- 8 – 10 strawberries, halved
- Optional: 2 ounces goat, feta or blue cheese, crumbled
Make the dressing: In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, shallots, sugar, and salt. Add the chopped orange and gently stir so that its juice is infused into the dressing.
Assemble the salad: Transfer all of the salad ingredients to a serving bowl. Strain a light but thorough coating of the dressing over the salad. Toss well. Arrange the orange pieces from the dressing on top of the salad. Serve, and enjoy.