Pressing the water out of the tofu allows it to take on lots of rich curry flavor in this bold main course salad.
Tofu Quinoa Curry Salad
| Serves 4 |
350 per main course serving
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1 14 ounce package extra firm tofu
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 2 carrots, diced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 tomato (on-the-vine, heirloom or other tasty tomato) diced into 1/2 inch pieces, or 8 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped herbs such as parsley, cilantro, basil or a combination (leaves only)
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- Dash of paprika (optional)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
Prepare the quinoa: Place the quinoa in a medium saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring the water to a boil. As soon as the quinoa spurts little polliwog-looking tails (about 12 – 15 minutes) remove it from the heat and drain in a mesh colander. (This method is less than conventional but prevents over cooking and ensures al dente quinoa). Set the quinoa aside.
Prepare the tofu: Lay several pieces of paper towels on a cutting board. Slice the tofu into roughly 1 inch pieces and transfer onto the paper towels. Layer several more paper towels on top of the tofu slices. Press down on each piece of tofu, extracting as much water out of it as possible. Your tofu pieces might break under the pressure of your palm. That’s okay! The goal here is to extract as much water from the tofu as possible. Transfer the tofu to a flat shallow dish and set aside.
Make the dressing: Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. If you don’t have a blender, no problem! Just make sure that the ginger is really, really well minced. Whisk the ingredients together until well emulsified. Pour the dressing over the tofu, coating it well, but reserving several tablespoons.
Assemble the salad: Transfer the arugula to a salad bowl. Add the quinoa, carrots, tomatoes and herbs. Toss with a light coating of the reserved dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste and toss again. Top with the tofu, sprinkle with a dash of paprika, serve, and enjoy!