Like your salad straight up? This savory salad has all the elegance of a martini, plus lots of protein, fiber, and minerals.
Tofu-Tini With Quinoa & Walnut Vinaigrette
| Serves 4 | 280 calories per serving
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu
- 5 ounces arugula
- 1/3 cup sprouted legumes
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 sprig fresh basil leaves, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 medium shallot, minced well
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar or a drop of agave syrup
- Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
Prepare the quinoa: Place the quinoa in a medium sauce pan, cover with about 2 cups water and place on the stove on high heat. Bring to a full boil, reduce the heat slightly, and continue to boil for approximately 13 to 15 minutes – just until the quinoa begins to open. Remove from the heat, drain well in a colander, toss gently to release steam, and set aside. (This cooking technique prevents overcooking, allowing the quinoa to retain an al dente texture.)
Make the vinaigrette: Whisk the dressing ingredients together well in a small measuring cup or bowl.
Assemble the salad: Transfer the prepared quinoa to a salad bowl and fold in the other salad ingredients until just combined. Toss the salad with a light coating of the dressing. Taste; add additional dressing, salt, and fresh ground pepper according to your taste preferences. Serve and enjoy!