Tropical Caesar Salad
| Serves 4 |
287 calories per serving
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 Haas variety avocado, or 1/2 large Florida variety
- 1 small mango
- 2 tablespoons grated Cotija* or Parmesan cheese
- Optional: 1 pound cooked medium shrimp (+ 100 calories per serving)
*Cotija is an aged cheese made in Mexico that is similar to Parmesan, but more crumbly.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Optional: 1/2 – 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Prepare salad ingredients: Cut the romaine lengthwise into four wedges (see photo). Rinse each wedge under cold running water, then, shake dry and set aside. Peel and slice the avocado and mango into salad-size pieces. Set aside with the lettuce wedges.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, and anchovies, if using. Add the olive oil in a thin stream and continue to whisk until the dressing is emulsified and begins to thicken.
Assemble the salad: Transfer the lettuce wedges to individual plates and arrange the avocado and mango, along with the optional cooked shrimp, over the salad. Drizzle with the dressing, reserving some to serve on the side, if desired. Garnish with the grated cheese. Serve, and enjoy!