| Serves 4 as a side dish |
200 calories per serving
- 1 12 ounce package shredded Brussels sprouts
- 5 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 12 ounce package cubed, ready-to-cook butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dark miso paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons almond butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce, or to taste
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, mix together all of the dressing ingredients – except the Tabasco sauce – until smooth. The dressing will be thick; it will thin when combined with the warm salad ingredients. Add the Tabasco sauce a few drops at a time, taste-testing as you go, until you have the desired level of heat. Set the dressing aside.
Prepare the salad ingredients: Heat the olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer the mushrooms to the pan and cook for about five minutes, or until soft and reduced in size. Push to the side of the pan, add the Brussels sprouts, and continue to cook for another five minutes.
While the veggies simmer on the stove, transfer the butternut squash to a microwave safe bowl. Cover the bowl with a lid, leaving it opened just a crack for steam to escape. Cook at a high setting for 5 – 7 minutes or until fork tender. Fold in with the other veggies.
Dress the salad: Toss the salad with a thorough coating of dressing. Add additional salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Serve, and enjoy!